Monday, September 14, 2009

The vegetarian in me (CHANGE)

In order to keep myself growing and changing and also in order to try out something that I feel would benefit me in more then one way I have taken on the eating habits of a vegetarian. I’ve always said that change is good and that we should open ourselves up to different styles of living in all aspect so that our lives will improve. The fear of change has crept into people when I tell them that I’m not eating meat these days. They say that I’m going to lose weight in a bad way (as in lose my muscle mass) which is totally untrue because I actually feel stronger now. I’m aware of how much protein I need in my system to maintain my mass because I am educated in the matter so there’s no worry there. It seems that when I’m in the mist of change plenty of people around me don’t seem to understand why I would even want to change. Meat is not a necessity and even though I don’t plan on giving up meat completely I’m not eating it this month. I don’t even think I will ever go back to eating meat as I did, after this month I may just eat it once a month and that will be it. I feel a change already from not eating me and it hasn’t even been that long that I’ve been a non-meat eater. I feel better in more then one way, I feel stronger, I don’t feel as heavy and I have more energy. I actually feel better (I even feel like I look better) and again, I haven’t even been not eating meat for that long. If I would have listen to that voice inside (the ego) which told me that I would be miserable without meat I would have never discovered what benefits I have without eating meat. I’ve also discovered that there are so many toxins and bad stuff in meat (dead flesh) that it isn’t funny. Even though there are a lot of health benefit in meat I don’t’ know if the healthy benefits outweigh the bad. I don’t even think that meat was meant to be our main source of food. The meatless thing is simply a part of my personal change and growth.

Change is a part of life and change is something that we all crave from our within, but when we become aligned with the ways of this world, that want for change sometimes gets snuffed out (so it would seem but it never actually gets snuffed out) and covered up. This is why a lot of people have the so-called mid life crisis at middle age they start doing things like getting a whole bunch of tattoos, motorcycles also chasing after someone whom is like 20 years younger then them and of their opposite sex when they’ve been in a marriage for 20 years or more in itself. They are so starved from change that they are in a place within their lives that they are going to force change to occur. Its like they’ve always wanted to remain in change but then they simply align with the way things are and they start stagnating.

This weekend I had plans to go out and I wanted my friend do come a long with me. I wanted to try something different with my outing but it seemed that he (my friend) didn’t understand why. I wanted to leave my house at a certain time because I knew that I wanted to have a certain amount of time out but for some reason it seemed that he was bent on making me wait so that we would end up leaving at the same times which we always have. Then, after we arrive to the place really late the guy ended up not even going inside with me. It almost messed up my weekend because I wanted to do something that we don’t usually do but he was just bent on leaving it all the same. All my life I have always had the need for change. I’ve always tried new things, gained new wisdom and then applied it to my life. It gets a bit tough when it seems that I’m the only one that wants to move forward and be change. It seems that when I speak of things to certain people as in regard to change, growth and trying new things out they are all for it but then when it becomes time to do so (try out the new things which I discussed with them), they have a different story which is filled with excuses on why they aren’t going to give the change a try.

This is why I’ve always said if you want change to occur you need to be the change within yourself. You can’t wait for others to change in the ways which want to change, if you do that means you are depending on others for your happiness and that is wrong within itself. It’s not anyone responsibilities for your happiness but you, if you want something done you need to become exactly what you want period. I’m really glad that I’ve done the meatless thing even though I’m the only one who is doing it and this weekend as I watched my plans almost get messed up I had no one but myself to blame with that. I was a bit angry but the anger wasn’t towards my friend, I was more angry at myself then anything. I could have just let him know what I was doing and told him he could have meant me if he really wanted to come. Or I could have just not told him at all, did my thing and then let him call and ask if he was interested but I didn’t do it that way. I am in a place within life which I simply want to movement to occur, I need movement and I need change. I need to be growth and nothing else. I can’t sit stagnating and just age, I need to simply “BE CHANGE”.

With that said, if something is needed the person who needs it needs to simply become it. I do suggest that people try and make fruits and vegetables the number one source of food; this is just my suggestion because I truly believe that it will help out in more ways then people may be aware of. It will make eating right easier and also it will help staying a healthy size easier as well. With a good diet of more vegetables and fruit then meat and a good exercise plan you will have discovered the true fountain of youth. Always remain in change, don’t let fear ever stop you from changing in the way which your heart tells you to change and don’t depend on others to change in the ways which you see fit to change.

I wanted to also list some of the good and bad of eating meat to show that even though meat may have a lot of health benefits it also is what is causing so many to be overweight and unhealthy. At this point in my life I don’t think that it is going to benefit me to have meat as my main source of food, for the rest of this month it won’t even play any part of what I will eat. Embrace change and keep on growing.

Education is the key. First, the bad of eating meat.

There is no longer any doubt about the fact that eating meat is bad for your health. The list of diseases known to be associated with meat, which are commoner among meat eaters, looks like the index of a medical textbook. Anemia, appendicitis, arthritis, breast cancer, cancer of the colon, cancer of the prostate, constipation, diabetes, gall stones, gout, high blood pressure, indigestion, obesity, piles, strokes and varicose veins are just some of the well known disorders which are more likely to affect meat eaters than vegetarians. Avoiding meat is one of the best and simplest ways to cut down your fat consumption.

Add to those hazards the fact that if you eat meat you may be consuming hormones, drugs and other chemicals that have been fed to the animals before they were killed and you can see the extent of the danger. No one knows precisely what effect eating the hormones in meat is likely to have on your health. But the risk is there and I think it's a big one. Some farmers use tranquillizers to keep animals calm. Others routinely use antibiotics so that their animals do not develop infections. When you eat meat you are, inevitably, eating those drugs. In America, over half of all antibiotics are fed to animals and I don't think it is any coincidence that the percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin went up from 13% in 1960 to 91% in 1988.

It is the fat in meat that does most harm - and which makes meat eating an even bigger health hazard than smoking - but don't think you can avoid the dangers simply by avoiding red meat because you cannot. If you want to eat a truly healthy diet then you must give up eating meat completely.

And now we have the good of meat eating.

There are innumerable health benefits of eating meat, to say, for example, it serves as a fabulous source of high quality proteins, which a single vegetarian food is not able to provide. It contains all the essential amino acids that the body requires. The red meat contains very high quantities of iron, when compared with plant origin foods. 100 grams of Liver contains 6000 mcgm of iron as against 325 mcgm in 100-gram carrots.

So there you have it. In my research I’ve found that there is a greater benefit in not eating meat but also there are health benefits within meat as well. If one must eat me I say eat it moderately. Even though the article which I found says that you can’t get the high quality of proteins in not eating meat I will say I have to disagree. There are certain nuts and beans which also have all 9 of the amino acids which are found in meat proteins (protein is the most important nutrient to our bodies so this is important. Whole protein is protein with all 9 amino acids, this is the most beneficial protein to us and it is readily found in meats but like I said, you CAN find it in non-meat products as well) Also you can find high sources or iron in beats as well as some nuts. It will be ultimately up to you as of what works for you but just be educated on what you are doing to yourself when you consume meat in great qualities. If you are looking for the true fountain of youth take up a good exercise program, drink plenty of water, lay off of junk food (cakes and pies) and take it easy on the meat (if you are able to give it up completely it will do you some good. There are so many products out there that can be eating which are not meat. They have meatless hamburgers now!!!!) It really can work. For me from here on out meat will more then likely be a once a month treat. They only reasons I will even eat it at all is because I do enjoy the way it taste. The less I eat it the better I will be and then when I do eat it I will enjoy even more and it won’t be enough to effect me in a negative way. Try out something new, if not being a vegetarian try something else. If you are a smoker, try and give up smoking. I say try and find different ways to bring the better parts out of yourself. Give growth and change a try so you will never feel the need to go into some type of midlife crisis. We all are of change, remember that.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment